Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Problem with Math

As I was driving home last night from work, my daughter is texting me to see how soon I will arrive at our domicile. Since texting while driving is super unsafe, I decided to call her instead to see what she needed.
Daughter - "I need help with my homework."
Me - "What subject?"
Daughter - "Math..."
Me - "What is the problem?"
Daughter - "Hold on...let me go where there is light." pause...shuffling of papers "I have to write 5/6 as a decimal and I don't know how to figure that out."
Me - "Divide 5 by 6."
Daughter - "WHAT?"
Me - "Divide 5 by 6..."
Daughter - "YOU CAN'T!" said while increasing pitch by at least 3 octives.
Me - "You can't....do it on the calculator!"
Daughter - "Hold on...now I have to go ALL the way upstairs just for a calculator." followed by stomping noises on the stairs "Ok...5 divided by 6 is .8333333333..."
Me - "There's your answer."
Daughter - "but that's not how we're supposed to do it...we have to make the bottom number into a 10, 100, or 1000, then change the top number, like 1/4 in the example. The 4 becomes 100 and the 1 becomes 25 so the answer is .25."
Me - "How exactly do you plan to turn 6 into 100 evenly?"
Daughter - "I DON'T KNOW!" said while increasing pitch 3 octives.
Me - "Ok fine...use your calculator and divide 100 by 6..."
Daughter - "16.6666666..."
Me - "Ok...now you have to multiply 5 (your top number) by that amount to make things match up right?"
Daughter - "What?"
Me - "If you have to multiply 6 by 16.666666666 to get 100 then you also have to multiply 5 by that number....right...."
Daughter - "Ok..."
Me - "What is 5 times 16.6666666?"
Daughter - "83.33333333"
Me - "So what is your answer?"
Daughter - "83.3 repeated"
Me - "How can 5/6 be a whole number...the whole object of this lesson was to turn it into a decimal...5/6 is less than 1 so how can the answer be 83.333333?"
Daughter - "I DON"T KNOW" gaining 3 octives again...
Me - "When you did the 1/4 as an example, the result was 25/100...right?"
Daughter - "Yes...in the example"
Me - "and you had to move the decimal 2 places to get the proper answer right?"
Daughter - "huh?"
Me - "WOULD YOU LISTEN TO WHAT I'M TELLING YOU!!"
Daughter - "I am but it's hard to hear you..."
Me - "When you figured up the 1/4 example, it turned to 25/100...and the answer was .25 which means you moved the decimal by 2 places...right?"
Daughter - "I just don't understand this...hurry up and get here so you can help me."
Me - "I AM HELPING YOU IF YOU WOULD LISTEN TO ME! If your new top number from 5/6 is now 83.333 and you move the decimal 2 places then you get .83333 repeated...right?"
Daughter - "I guess...but what do I do with the 3 that was after the decimal?"
Me - "The 3 is repeated...it doesn't matter which one."
Daughter - "OHHHHH....OK"
Me - "Now I want you to do me a favor...get your calculator..."
Daughter - "ok"
Me - "Type in 5."
Daughter - "ok"
Me - "Press the division key."
Daughter - "ok"
Me - "Type in 6..."
Daughter - "ok"
Me - "Now press the equal button...what is the answer?"
.......silence..........
Me - "What was the answer?"
Daughter - "be quiet..."
Me - "So the answer was...."
Daughter - "You know what it is!!!"
Me - "THEN WHY DID WE JUST SPEND 20 MINUTES WORKING THIS OUT????"

So I have determined that the problem with math is that children expect to not be able to understand it and that in turn there is no way their parents could unsderstand it and help them with it....she should have just listened to me from the beginning!!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha.....funny thing I saw was that it had to be done by calculator. What happened to long division? 5 divided by 6 would be 5.0 divided by 6....oh you know how to do long division. Anyway. Funny that Amy was so frustrated to see that the signs, stomping and stress was not the answer. But that still quiet voice of her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have told her the answer was sailfish.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to make your opinion known, but do so in a non hateful manner or I will be forced to delete your comment . Thank you!